Tuesday, June 16, 2009

When Tragedy Strikes..


Over the last weekend, an ex-colleague of mine, lost her only 2 children, aged 5 & 7, to a food poisoning incident.

Although I have stopped working with that colleague since 2 years, and although we were never close, the accident shook me badly. I guess it would shake anyone, but it felt close somehow. As if I had just realized that these accidents could happen to anyone. It could happen to me..

The days that followed made me think about a million things. How one’s life can easily end in an instant, without any preparations or expectations. It made me think that this world that we live in is actually so frail, and so fake. Nothing that we work for, run after or wish for can guarantee success or the thought that it would bring us happiness.

Sitting at the memorial yesterday, I looked around at the 500 or so people gathered there. Different nationalities, different religions, so different backgrounds. All gathered under the horrific shock of tragedy. All gathered in union, and that’s it.

It made me think about God.

Often, when tragedy hits people, they face two options: they either choose to get closer to God, try and pour their burdens on Him and seek His consolation & comfort, or they give Him up completely.

I wouldn’t know what I choose, unless I am faced with a similar situation. That’s why I wish I never have to choose.

Yet, as an outsider, I would think that I would seek God. I would think that it is one way of God telling me not to think I know it all, and that I am not as smart as I think, after all. It is His way of letting me know He still is in control- not because He is a controlling harsh God, but because that’s why we are here after all. to be His, to seek Him. The way He chooses to teach us that lesson is His choice. And no matter how we sulk or make vows or scream about it, that will not change that fact. He is in control of everything.

Don’t let go of the people you love.
Don’t think there will always be time to go see that old friend, or your old grandmother.
Don’t brush off other people’s troubles, as if you are secured against them.
Don’t waste your time here, running after material things.
Seek God, in all you do. He is the only One you can guarantee He will be around, forever after. Let THAT be your fairy tale.

A & P, my heart, my prayers, my thoughts & my feelings are with you. The memorial was beautiful. May God give you the strength to move on.

4 comments:

  1. Salma, precious insights to God's character. I will pray for yoru friend today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The feeling that there is a supreme power that takes control of everythin, just gives us the feeling that we are safe and secure. someone powerful will take care of everything, even when we loose dear people, things, targets, we know and believe that he cares and that he will take care of us, lead us and soften the pain..

    Beautifully put Salma,

    May god grant your friend the peace and the strength!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The feeling that there is a supreme power that takes control of everythin, just gives us the feeling that we are safe and secure. someone powerful will take care of everything, even when we loose dear people, things, targets, we know and believe that he cares and that he will take care of us, lead us and soften the pain..

    Beautifully put Salma,

    May god grant your friend the peace and the strength!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully put Salma,
    May God grant your friend the strength to go on...

    ReplyDelete

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog